Monday 28 October 2013

Book Review: How to avoid common errors in English




Assalamualaikum, today on this book review I will try to write fully in English. Hopefully my write up can be understood.

I always love about books, no matter it is fiction, classic, knowledge, leisure, novels etc. Besides books, I do love reading magazines.

This book was chosen because the rebate 25% for member from Popular Book Store catch my eyes. I just consider this is the best book amongst the rest that comes with promotion. The second reason that I love this book before I bought due to the explaination on it.


With guidelines and explanation

With phonetic and syllables guidelines

I am really proud and I feel great that I chose the perfect book that can improve my second language. I do prefer speaking and writing in Bahasa Melayu due I am truly Malay. What I can say here, this book was written by very responsible and person with english literature background that really wants to protect their English language. The author want all of us to use "CORRECT ENGLISH". With correct English you can fit yourself everywhere for formal situation like business or informal occasions like holiday. With correct English usage it means you have learned and concern about what you are talking and can make favorable first impression.

Before we start reading this book, the author suggest us to do pretest to look at how far you've come. After we get the result for pretest, you can go straight to your sections with errors or you can start each chapter by sequence. For the future reader, each chapter and each section ends with test. When you complete read and review the book and the tests, you are advice by the author to take the review test after one or two weeks.

Fortunately, I done my pretest and quite shocking when I managed to get 8 errors out of 25 questions. Not bad for me as a poor English languages. So all of you should try by yourself...I hope I managed to get over 85% marks for my review tests when I do finish my reading..All the best!

The chapters are:
Chap1: perplexing pronouns
Chap 2: vexing verbs
Chap3: ambiguous Agreement
Chap4: Mangled modifiers
Chap 5: problem prepositions
Chap 6: confused connections
Chap 7: puzzling plurals
Chap 8: mixing up words that sound the same
Chap 9: mixing up words that look the same
Chap 10: mixing up words whose meanings are related
Chap 11: made-up words
Chap12: wasteful words and infelicities
Chap 13: mispronounced words

Enjoy your reading...<3 <3














No comments:

Post a Comment